Sunday, November 25, 2007

A Lesson or Two

A couple of weeks ago, while I was sitting in Sacrament meeting, I remember thinking that it wouldn't surprise me if an Apostle were to drop by the ward unannounced sometime. I didn't think much of it at the time, but today when we sat down and saw Elder Oaks on the stand, I I remembered that I had thought that (I was still surprised). Bishop Malloy had him bear his testimony after the assigned speakers were finished. Among other things, he said that he wanted to attend one of the local wards and was impressed to visit this one. He ended up staying for all three meetings, including Elders Quorum...did I mention that I was teaching Elders Quorum today?

As I was sitting at my desk this morning at 5:45 a.m., just barely starting to prepare the assigned lesson on the talk by Elder Eyring ironically about procrastination, I remember praying that I would be able to say things for the benefit of those who would hear it...little did I know that an Apostle of the Lord would hear it. As nerve racking as it was, it was so amazing to have him right there responding to my questions just like everyone else, except his was one of the ever-recognizable voices that I have heard since I was a child. He was so attentive and "in" to the lesson; he didn't just sit back and listen, but he participated and seemed to be really enjoying himself. I haven't been able to stop talking about it all day.

After worrying about the high level issues of the Church on a daily basis, it really must be such a fulfilling thing for the Church leaders to be able to show up to just a regular, old ward and see the Saints faithfully attempting to keep their covenants and build Zion. Furthermore, on the flip side, having one of the highest leaders of the Church take the time to visit among the common Church members helps me to believe that much more in the divine nature of their callings.

Now, I can say that I have taught Elder Oaks a lesson or two.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.